Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Mommy's big news & baby's nursery...

**Scroll to end to see sneak peek pics of baby's nursery decor!**

So here's something I never thought I'd say entering my 8th month of pregnancy...I got a job!! When people have asked me what my plans are now that I've graduated, I have joked that I will have nothing to do with myself because no one is going to hire a pregnant woman who can only work for a month or two--but that is exactly what happened!!
Congratulations Prezzies From Sweet Hubby!
We are ecstatic and I feel so incredibly blessed (and still a bit shocked). There are many reasons why this particular job is so perfect, despite the fact that we have a little guy on the way. First off, this is the job I have been drooling over for the past year. When my former colleague got hired to run weight loss counseling groups for a major health provider I told her 'oh my goodness that is like the perfect job for me!' I've kept in contact with her through email, and in early December I ran into her at the Evolution of Psychotherapy conference. We were both attending Judy Beck's workshop on "The Beck Diet Solution" and it turns out we are both pregnant! I told her that I was about to graduate and she told me that I should send her my resume so she could pass it along to her boss. Wondering if perhaps I should wait until I was ready to go back to work so that my resume didn't get lost or buried, I ultimately decided to go ahead and send it over. She sent my resume to her boss with the note that I was pregnant and due in March, so my hope was that she might hold on to it and contact me in the future if any positions opened up.

Well, two days later I got a voicemail asking me to come in for an interview. I was completely shocked and confused and I called them back to make sure they knew I was pregnant. As it was, it seemed as if that bit of information had gotten lost in translation along the way, but she told me to go ahead and come in anyway.

So after trying on many interview outfits that DIDN'T fit (I realized that I seem to be somewhat in denial about my size after attempting to button a pair of pants that barely reached my sides), I finally found a suitable outfit. I wore a stretchy-waisted knee length skirt with a black top and black cotton blazer and prayed that the button wouldn't pop open before the interview was over. It turns out that my friend recently transferred to a location much further from my house so I had to drive about 50 minutes to get to my interview. I was interviewed by three people and was a bit thrown by some of the questions they asked me (i.e. are you familiar with Adult Learning Theory?-cue panic!) When it came to the part about my availability, I laughed and patted my giant belly while trying my best to explain that I would need to take maternity leave in mid March if they were to hire me now, and would need at least 6 weeks of uninterrupted bonding time with baby. I really was just happy to be making a connection and meeting them, so I told them  I totally understood if I wasn't the right fit because of my situation and hoped that they would keep my resume on file for the future.

As I left, I was feeling less than confident about my interview performance, but I was also sort of ambivalent about what I wanted. Although this is a job I really wanted, the thought of leaving baby even part time after just 6 weeks made me want to curl up into a ball and cry. The next day I was called by a recruitment officer and did a second phone interview. When he got to the part about my availability and I awkwardly giggled my way through another "by the way I'm pregnant and due in March" speech, he seemed a bit concerned. He told me he would call me back, and later that night he did. He said wanted to discuss a few things with me and as I was listening to him and expecting a "ta ta for now" spiel, he suddenly said "so, do you accept?" I was jolted awake and stuttered out a "yes." From that moment on it's been a whirlwind of trying to fill out the necessary paperwork within 24 hours, scheduling CPR classes and drug screenings, and trying to wrap my head around the fact that I HAVE A JOB!

So...back to the reasons why this job is so perfect. It's a per diem position and I am only contracted for about 10 hours a month. They could need me more than this of course (and I will have to figure that out at the time), but when he told me this bit of information I was ECSTATIC! You mean to tell me that not only can I spend ample time with my precious baby boy but I can get experience in a job that I have desperately wanted with an awesome company?!? Yes please!!!

I am currently waiting on everything to "clear" but if all goes well I start my new employee orientation on February 3rd!!! I will probably train until I give birth and then I won't actually start working until 6 weeks after baby is born. Yes the drive is less than ideal, but with so few hours I can definitely swing it! I will be working evenings so I am hoping it'll be in a time frame where I can avoid rush hour traffic. Anyway...I am thrilled and I can't believe it-I feel very, very lucky to have been given this opportunity. 

In other exciting news, my mama has been busy sewing and has made us some absolutely ADORABLE baby gear! She has made him a blankie that is ridiculously cute, cuddly, and perfect and she used some of the leftover fabric to start making him a matching banner for his wall. I am SOOOOO in love! He is going to have the cutest little "nursery wall"!! I'm so grateful that she is taking the time to make all of these homemade gifts for baby. It makes the items so meaningful and I love that they are one of a kind. Here are some sneak peeks....aren't they precious?!?


Custom made blanket by Nana Barbie!

Banner by Nana Barbie!





**Update, she just sent this picture over too! Ah, so in love! It has a hot side and a cold side!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment