Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Colorado Family Reveal!

I am writing from my mama's house in Colorado. We got in five days ago (where did the time go?!), but we just shared our big news last night. As per usual, we are up at nearly one in the morning. We went with the "family photo surprise" again, and we have another funny video to share. Although, this one didn't come quite as easily. I have been dying to tell them since the moment they picked us up from the airport, and James and I were having difficulty keeping our secret. So, a couple nights in, I attempted to round the family up for a photo... I should have known better. I couldn't bribe or guilt my mama into taking a photo (in all fairness, she was in her bathrobe!), so we had two wait two more days! Imagine my nerves! So, the moment finally came and I got all of my family members to agree to be in a photo (only the 2nd try, woo hoo!) James and I had rehearsed this a few times, and he had asked me several times prior to the big reveal what exactly he was "supposed" to say. Well, he counted to three and then, in a rather somber tone, he said "James and Ashley are having a baby." LOL. No "on the count of three say...," no build up, just flat as can be, a statement of truth. It was hilariously anti-climatic (but adorable). He told me after that he was a nervous wreck and his hands were shaking the entire time. My mom and sister both said "what?" They were completely confused and it took a moment for them to realize what was happening. I was dying laughing at James' delivery and their delayed reactions. It was so nice to get it off our chests!!

 I was able to spend some time with my mama looking at baby stuff online and getting advice on various things. It was so nice, especially because we spend such little time together and I probably won't see her again until after the baby is born. I never realize just how much I miss my family until I see them again. We've been able to spend a lot of time with my baby sister, older sister, niece, and nephew as well, and I've loved every minute of it. It's strange because it has been about a year and a half since I've seen them and the kids seem so much older, but on the other hand it's as if no time has passed at all and we have just picked up right where we left off. I wish I could see them more frequently, and it's hard to miss so much of their lives. I'm especially grateful that although my baby sister is 13 now, she still wants to spend time with me and gives us daily hugs and kisses.

 It's so crazy to be bringing a new family member into the mix. It has always seemed like such as far off event. It still only feels real for about two seconds after telling someone and then it fades back to feeling like something that is happening to someone else. My baby sis says that once I have "the bump" it will feel more real; I'm sure she is right. It's hard to imagine how much our lives are about to change. All the plans I had set, the age I had imagined myself, goals we thought we would reach before embarking on this journey...so much to wrap our heads around. The joy and excitement is amazing and the rest is all the background noise that I am trying to process. My older sister gave me the quote "life is what happens when you are busy making plans," and she is completely right. We will make it work and figure out a new path with our little bundle of joy. I keep imagining who they will be and I still can't quite get over the fact that I am growing a tiny human inside of me right now. That is crazy! I love this baby so much already and I am trying to calm my nerves and quiet my many worries so that I can fully enjoy and absorb this crazy, miraculous experience of growing a baby.
Right after the reveal!

No comments:

Post a Comment